Monday, January 11, 2010

VVVVVV Available Now & More Divinity II Gushing  

.
.
Games: Although my official review hasn't gone live at GameCritics yet, Terry Cavanagh’s VVVVVV is now available for sale, and after spending a few hours with it, I've got nothing but good things to say about it.
.

.
I talked a little bit about it in the last post (scroll down if you missed it) but basically, VVVVVV is a mindbending platformer where the hook is that the player’s character has the ability to reverse gravity instead of jumping.
.
The graphics are simple, yet they serve the simplicity of the gameplay perfectly. The music is to 8-bit heaven, and there are a number of interesting twists and concepts on display in the game that make this much more than it initially appears.
.
If you go to the sale website, you can purchase the full version for $15, or try a demo for free. Such a guy. For those who haven't experienced any of Terry's other games, you can check out his past works at his site, Distractionware. Try 'em.
.
If you like indie titles the way I like indie titles, do yourself a favor and check it out. If you like what you see, do Terry a favor and slide a couple bucks his way.
.
.
.
.
In other news, last weekend turned out to be a little busier than I expected, so I didn't get nearly as much done as I'd planned. However, I did find some time to squeeze in a little more Divinity II: Ego Draconis in between the baby’s naps, and it's only been getting better and better.
.

.
I'm half asleep at the moment so I'll save most of my endless gushing for a later post, but let me just say that this title has turned out to be far, far, far better than I had ever expected. The variety and types of quests are superb, there's a very dark sense of humor on display in the writing, the voice acting and music is great, and the complexity of the game's design overall is just stunning.
.
Although it doesn't have the in-depth dialogue trees and amount of influence over the plot the way BioWare’s games do, it's certainly strong enough to hold up by comparison. It’s a bit of a slow burn in the beginning and takes a few hours to really unfold, but if you give it half a chance, it's easy to see that it really is that good. Even better in some ways, and that statement is coming from a true dyed-in-the wool BioWare fan.
.
If you count yourself as someone who appreciates deep, complex and challenging Western-style RPGs, this is one you absolutely can't afford to miss.
.
.

What next?

You can also bookmark this post using your favorite bookmarking service:

Related Posts by Categories