Thursday, November 3, 2011

Escape Goat, Flying Pirates, Dark Soul Fixes, and Child's Play  

*


Games: I've got a couple of interviews coming up quite soon, and this weekend the PNWJournos group is going to Haunted Temple Studios to get a hands-on with the upcoming XBLA title, Skulls of the Shogun. Look for some in-depth coverage of that in the very near future.

In the meantime, @MagicalTimeBean’s latest and greatest has just become available on the XBL Indie channel. Titled Escape Goat, it's about a goat who (wait for it…) escapes.

This art style kicks ass.
Essentially, the prison where the game takes place is broken down into a series of rooms, each room being a puzzle. The goat has the ability to double jump, to dash, and also gets an assist from a very helpful mouse who’s along for the ride… I only had time to run through the demo, but I was definitely into what I was seeing.

Although it bucks the $1 trend of most XBLI titles (purchase price is $3) the quality is immediately evident, and I had no hesitation whatsoever dropping a triad of bones on it. Do yourself a favor and check it out.

*

In other games news, I finally started playing Two Worlds II: Pirates of the Flying Fortress on 360.

As you've probably guessed, it's a DLC add-on to TW2 which released way back in January. I liked the core game quite a bit (here's my review, in case you missed it) and this new chunk is basically more of the same. That's not a bad thing at all, but after nearly a year away from the original adventure, it feels like the window of opportunity has passed it by... it took me quite a while to get re-acclimated to the controls, and I had forgotten how rough the game can run at times.

We've got boats, people.
Also, with Skyrim just around the corner, this DLC couldn't have picked a worse time to make its way to market. TW2 was perfect as a lighter, faster, more pick-up-and-play version of Oblivion, but with the "real" thing at hand, it seems to me that most people would rather hold off for Bethesda's latest than jump back into something that's feeling pretty dated right now.

I'll be turning in a full review at GameCritics, so look for that once I've wrapped it up. Apparently, this is a pretty sizable adventure (15-20 hours is what I'm hearing) so at the very least, it should provide a healthy amount of content for those taking the plunge.

*

Although I'm done with it and my review has been turned in, a very interesting piece of news was released today in regards to Dark Souls. Apparently FromSoft has completed work on their next round of patches for the game, and the list of what's been tweaked is absolutely massive.

You can click here to take a look at it and see what's going to change. It's hard to tell the ultimate effect that all of these modifications will have, but right off the bat a few things jumped out at me -- the amount of souls earned from PVE has apparently been doubled, the drop rate for Humanity has been increased, many magic spells appear to be weaker, and certain incredibly useful items like Homeward Bones and Skull Lanterns will now be dropped.

SUNBRO!!!
Regardless of my feelings on the game after completion, I'm very glad to see that From is continuing to work on the experience and improve it for those still playing, or for those who have yet to jump in. Thanks to @DemonicMurry for the link!

*

The GTAV trailer was released today and... well, it's a trailer. I'm not going to bother to link to it here since every games-related website on the Internet has been talking about it, but as someone who hasn't really been enjoying GTA since San Andreas, I can't say that I'm very excited. Rockstar really lost me with GTA4 and Red Dead Redemption, so I sincerely doubt that a pre-order for V is in my future.

Besides, with Saints Row: the Third coming out in just a few days, I suspect my open-world driving/shooting jones will be more than satisfied.

*

To close out today's blog, here are a few words on behalf of Child’s Play, one of my favorite charities. There’s no commentary from me below, just information straight from the organization’s press release. Please check it out, and donate if you feel so inclined... sick kids who love video games will thank you.


SEATTLE – Nov. 2, 2011 – Child’s Play Charity has officially begun its 2011 fundraising campaign, having already received more than $450,000. This year’s goal is to raise $2 million.

Since the charity’s establishment in 2003, it has distributed more than $9 million in donations from the videogame community to entertain hospitalized children across the globe.

The annual Child’s Play charity auction will take place on Thursday, Dec. 8th, 2011 at the Meydenbauer Center in Bellevue. Tickets can be purchased at www.childsplaycharity.org. Passes will cost $145 per person and $5,000 for table sponsors.


“We are very excited to begin another year of Child’s Play and once again show the world that the video game community is altruistic as well as compassionate,” said Kristin Lindsay, Child's Play. “Since Child’s Play inception we have constantly been surprised by the generosity in both time and money of the community.”


Those wishing to contribute to Child’s Play can:


● Host a fundraising event http://childsplaycharity.org/events


● Buy or donate an item on the Child’s Play eBay Giving Works page


● Give directly via PayPal


● Become a corporate sponsor, email Kristin Lindsay


● Mail a check to Child’s Play, 123 NW 36th Street Suite 210, Seattle, WA 98107


● Text the keyword GAMERS to 50555 to make a $5 donation

For more information visit http://www.childsplaycharity.org/

*

What next?

You can also bookmark this post using your favorite bookmarking service:

Related Posts by Categories