Friday, July 24, 2009

Chapter 20, Riddick, and Dr. Horrible  

.
.
Writing: After resuming work on the currently-untitled book my co-author and I have been putting together, I'm glad to say that I put another chapter in the can after taking a month and a half off.
.
I definitely felt a bit rusty after not having touched it in so long-- my usual M.O. is to do at least a little bit every night, so taking a big break like that was unusual. I have to admit, I had basically no clue where I left off before the summer, so I was really glad that my partner and I had sketched out a pretty comprehensive outline for the remainder of the book.
.
If you're a writer and you're not doing outlines.. why not?
.
.
.
Games: Still playing Dark Athena on 360.
.
I thought I had reached the end of the game when the developers surprised me and whipped out another new chunk of content to get through. To be perfectly frank, I think I was ready for the game to be over. I'm a little concerned now that it might overstay its welcome.
.
Still enjoying it so far, though… the writers have done a really bang-up job in clearly illustrating Riddick’s character. I may not like what I see and I may not agree with it, but there's no doubt that he feels very consistent and well-defined. In this respect, they've done better than I expected, and the rest of the story has been above-average as well.
.
Brutal, dark, and certainly heartless at times, but above-average.
.
Dark Athena aside, I’m still chipping away at Emergency on the DS and I just downloaded ‘Splosion Man (XBLA) from Twisted Pixel.
.

'Splode!!
.
Heard nothing but good things about it, so I'm very much looking forward to starting it up.
.
.
.
Film: Ok, it's not really a film exactly, but the wife and I just watched Dr. Horrible’s Sing-Along Blog on DVD, and we loved it. Before viewing, all I knew about it was that it was written by Joss Whedon and that Neil Patrick Harris was in it. Both are A-OK in my book, and since the wife has acclimated me to watching musicals, I was more than willing to give it a shot.
.

.
Basically, it's about a failed supervillain (Dr. Horrible) who wants to earn his way into the local union of evildoers. He's also got a crush on a woman he's met at the local laundromat, and his nemesis keeps throwing wrenches into his works. Take that basic premise and mix it up with some nicely-written songs, and you've got about 48 minutes of quality, modern-era entertainment.
.
NPH rocked the house, I loved the ending, and the whole thing is definitely recommended. great stuff.
.
.

What next?

You can also bookmark this post using your favorite bookmarking service:

Related Posts by Categories



2 comments: to “ Chapter 20, Riddick, and Dr. Horrible