Friday, September 12, 2008

Served Piping Hot  

Misc: If you are a person who does not have much power at work and you happen to come across someone who you think has even less power than you, exercise some restraint and don't vent all your frustrations on them.

---

As I was going about my business today, I happened to bump into a person who clearly thought they had more status on the job than I do. Things went fine until this particular person made an error in judgment about something they have absolutely no knowledge about, and decided to seize the opportunity to “teach me something”.

I am a person who can admit when I'm wrong and there have been more than a few times when I've had to man up and take responsibility for something that I would have preferred to run away from, but this was not one of the situations.

No, the person who called me aside to have a brief "educational moment" with me didn't have the faintest clue as to what the hell was going on. Completely ignorant, all this person had to go on was their incorrect assumption. After trying to explain the situation accurately, this person decided that I was wrong and told me that I was being defensive for trying to explain that what I was doing was actually correct.

It turned into one of those polite pissing matches where neither person is saying anything overtly offensive, but the subtext is quite clear: each one of us thought the other was an idiot. After a brief phone call to the person in charge, my case was solidified and it was pretty clear that I was not in need of a fork and napkin -- humble pie was not on my plate.

The entire distasteful situation could have been averted if this person had simply heard me out and exercised some judgment about a subject they clearly, painfully had no expertise in, but no… This was one of those moments when someone who's got a crappy personal life, a bad hairstyle, and no clout at work decides to dump all over someone when they think they can get away with it.


I hope that pie tasted good… they sure as hell earned every bite of it.





Choke on it.

What next?

You can also bookmark this post using your favorite bookmarking service:

Related Posts by Categories



1 comments: to “ Served Piping Hot