Monday, June 2, 2008

An Apology  

I'd like to apologize to anyone who might have been spoiled by my bit on Let The Right One In.

In my original post on the film, I summarized the entire plot. In retrospect (and was pointed out by rose-buddy) that was a mistake on my part, and potentially spoileriffic for those who haven't seen the film.

Again, apologies to rose-buddy and to anyone who might have been spoiled... I've amended the post so it's now safe to read without fear of the ending being given away, and I'll try my best not to do it again.

Sorry!

What next?

You can also bookmark this post using your favorite bookmarking service:

Related Posts by Categories



2 comments: to “ An Apology


  •  

    Thank you Brad

    Really nice of you.

    As you probably know the film is based on a book with the same name ("Let me in" in the US) by John Ajvide Lindqvist who also adapted it for the screen. There is much more of the pedophilic theme in the book than in the film. Actually Eli´s helper Hakan is just that but that part is taken away in the film.

    In the book Eli is a 200 year old eunuck so the shot on Eli´s "vagina" is there to show that something happend to her. I think the directors intention is just to make us doubt.

    I think you over-reacted about much. Two times Eli says to Oscar that she isn´t really a girl. Dispite that his love for her is without limits. He is openminded and doesn´t care just because he isn´t a teen interested in sex. That´s why the couple are preteens. The scene in bed is just sweet and innocent. Nothing happens.

    I´m a man of high moral but for me this was not shocking, just overwhelming. Sorry that you and your wife didn´t feel the same but I think you misunderstood much.


  •  

    Hi again rose-buddy, thanks for your comments.

    Actually, I had never heard of the film until the week before, when I saw it in the SIFF schedule. I had no idea it was a book until after I made my post and started to read up on other reviews.

    Honestly, the vagina shot wasn't the thing that was the biggest sticking point for us. I mean, I don't think it was necessary or even served its purpose, but just that the film overall lacked clarity and direction.

    For example, when Eli keeps saying "I'm not a girl", I just assumed she meant that she was a vampire and not a human girl. The thought that she was a neutered boy never even entered my head, and that quick shot of her privates wasn't sufficiently clear to communicate to me that she was really a he. Honestly, that's a really interesting point that should have been made clearer.

    The same goes for Eli's helper. Owning up to him being a pedophile would have added a good layer to the film and explained more about the relationships and dynamics, but as you said, it was basically left out of the film.

    The book sounds vastly more interesting and complex than the film was... It sort of sounds like the film would have been more menaingful and clear had I read the book before seeing it, Unfortunately, not everyone who's going to see the film will have read the book (or even know there was a book) and the director should have done more to capture the story and tell it as a complete film on its own.

    Thanks much for your comments, I really appreciate it.